Are you an innovator, scientist, researcher, entrepreneur?
A STEM entrepreneur, building a business in any field using a science or technology-based product/service. In every field of endeavor in the world today, there is an opportunity for innovation via science and technology.
Our FAST-IN Program can help your STEM-focused small business acquire funding from Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) awards. Read below for more details, or contact us to get started.
How do I know if I’m a good fit for SBIR/STTR funding?
Does this sound like you?
- Are you a small for-profit business (less than 500 employees) or have an idea that you want to turn into a business?
- Is your idea based on Science, Technology or Innovative?
- Do you reside in Indiana?
- Is your idea commercially viable & feasible?
- Are you looking for friendly funding to validate your concept and/or build a prototype and beyond?
If so, you may be a good fit for SBIR/STTR funding—and our FAST-IN program can help you get it.
What are the SBIR/STTR Programs?
The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program is up to a three-phase award program administered by the US SBA which provides qualified small businesses with opportunities to propose innovative ideas that meet the specific or general research and research and development needs of the federal government agencies.
Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) is another program that expands funding opportunities in the federal innovation research and development (R&D) arena. Central to the program is expansion of the public/private sector partnership to include the joint venture opportunities for small businesses and nonprofit research institutions.
Why might SBIR/STTR be a good fit for you?
The SBIR/STTR programs are one of the best funding mechanisms around for early-stage ventures. The funding offers:
- Money at a time when no one else will invest (at the concept phase).
- Money for risky ideas that need to be further developed.
- Non-dilutive funding. You don’t have to give up a piece of your company.
- Multi-Phase investment. But not guaranteed. Phase I: Concept Validation (like Seed), Phase II: Pilot Validation (like angel), Phase III: Commercialization
- Big Money: Seed (Phase I) amounts vary by lab but are generally between $150-225K; Angel (Phase II) funding is between $500K-1.5M.
Need Help With What to do Next? Consider FAST-IN
The FAST-IN program is designed to encourage participation in the SBIR/STTR program by educating entrepreneurs about the SBIR/STTR components and helping them navigate down the proposal writing path.
What does FAST-IN offer?
Through participation in the NIIC FAST-IN Program, you and your venture can:
- Learn what SBIR/STTR is all about, and if you might be a fit;
- Connect to potential partners across Indiana to create strong SBIR/STTR teams;
- If you are not ready yet for the SBIR/STTR program, learn what you need to do and get help doing it;
- Learn about alternate forms of funding your idea/business and how they work together with the SBIR/STTR program;
- Get proposal writing assistance and maybe even financial assistance to fund one of our expert SBIR/STTR proposal writers;
- Get help with creating a plan for growing your entire business from an expert and global thought leader…The NIIC
- Introductory and detailed workshops on the SBIR/STTR program
- Virtual webinars dealing in various SBIR/STTR topics
- One-on-one in-person or virtual meetings with our expert SBIR/STTR coaches
- Referrals for proposal writing assistance (small copay) from our experienced SBIR/STTR proposal writers. Financial assistance is available for help writing a limited number of grants
- Connection to potential partners across the state
- Business Coaching services (virtual and in-person) using NIIC’s proprietary model: Assess>Discover>Do™
- Interested? Contact us! We can help answer your questions and assist you in determining if you are fit.
- Go for it! Use the on-line form to get started with an application. We will review the form and be in touch.
- DoD SBIR/STTR Home Page
- Defense SBIR/STTR Innovation Portal for submitting SBIR proposals. There is also DSIP learning and support at this submission home page
- Elevate Ventures SBIR/STTR funds matching program – Indiana funds match 50 percent of up to three SBIR/STTR Phase I grants ($150,000 maximum match) per recipient